Wednesday, July 4, 2012

OCD and CheapSkate

Well as I mentioned in my previous post, I am going to share some redesigned posters with you. First off, I am a cheapskate. I love spending money, but I don't like the feeling I get when I sit down and look at how much money I've spent on things. Once again, I am not a tech professional, but I have learned to use Powerpoint quite efficiently. Top that with the fact that our school has an amazing poster maker, I figured that I could learn to spend less money. That is when I started to make my own posters. It's really no different than making a Powerpoint slide. I print it out on the color copier and scan it into the poster maker, and VOILA. I have a poster. Send that bad boy through the laminator, and I have saved money! This has worked perfectly in the past, so when I decided to change my theme to black and white polka dots with red accents, I figured I had the "know how" to get things done. 

This works perfectly with the OCD. I know you've found posters in the past and just hoped that maybe a few things were different, or they added it the way you say it, or that's too big for that wall or too small for the other wall. This is where this whole creating thing gets fun. I can find several places of inspiration and put them together to make me happy. 

Here's my poster of rules. I have adopted these rules after working at another school with a fabulous team. They use these rules throughout the entire grade level and the kids have to document which one they've broken if they are cited for misbehavior. It gives the kids a sense of ownership, and decreases the number of parent calls and letters with "What did he do?"
Typed up the rules added my own decorations and here we go...
Now if I decided to change my theme to... let's say rainbow colors... It would take a few clicks and...
another theme in less than 10 minutes. 

Here are a few others I've created...
I've used this layout for years now. I give the students homework challenges. I count homework on a weekly basis. Their packets have to be turned in complete by Friday, but  the assignments for each day are expected to be done. They never know when I'll ask to see last night's homework. I love the idea. If a student has bible study or baseball practice, they can go ahead and not have to worry about it. Anyway, if they have 9 stars by the end of the grading period, I'll reward them with a picnic, if you only have 7, you'll get a snack from the picnic.  
I changed the slogan on this one. I used Spotacular to match the polka dot theme. We were pirates last year, so it said... "Do the work, or walk the plank". It had a really cute wood background (get it... plank) and I used Blackadder ITC for the font. 
Table numbers, computer numbers, etc.


A blank sign for daily announcements, class schedules, notes to the class, journal prompts, quotes, etc. 
I can't wait to show you how they look in my classroom.

Happy 4th!




1 comment:

  1. Very cute blog! I have nominated you for an award. Visit my site to claim it!
    www.classroomcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete